Friday, January 6, 2012

That's My Girl!

Mia is really into her baby dolls.  She loves to pretend to feed them and make them go "night night".  It's adorable.  One of her favorite things to do with them is to put them in her doll stroller and run around the house and saying "Mimi run like Mommy".  She even says "Ready Set Go!' sometimes! It makes me so proud! My little runner girl!

I have to admit that like most women for a long time working out and running was a vanity thing for me.  I was constantly worried about my weight and numbers on the scale.  After I ran my first marathon that changed a bit.  I became proud of what my body could do but I would still focus on my weight a lot.  Being pregnant with Mia changed that. It was the first time I could remember not caring what the scale said.  I ran throughout most of my pregnancy and listened to my body as far as how far and how fast I ran.  Running made me feel better and gave me energy during the pregnancy.  I also ate what I wanted and didn't focus on calories like I used to.  I just enjoyed being pregnant.

After I had Mia I was disappointed that all of the baby weight did not come off as soon as she entered the world but it didn't bother me as much as I thought it would.  It's taken a long time to get the baby weight- much longer than I expected.  I've had my moments, but for the first time in my life I don't care what the scale says.  Yes I would like to lose a few more pounds.  I'm down to my pre-pregnancy weight but finding that my body is still much different.  But I'm not focused on that the way I used to be.  I appreciate my body now more than ever for the amazing thing it gave me.  I am focused on being healthy for my family.  When I take care of myself by eating right and exercising I am a better mom. 

I never want Mia to focus on numbers on the scale.  I want her to value her body for what it can do for her.  I hope that by trying to lead a healthy, active lifestyle I can teach her to appreciate her body the way I have come to finally appreciate mine.  When I see her running with her dolls I am a proud Mommy - she sees Mommy as a runner! 

No comments:

Post a Comment