Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Heat Wave!

We're having a bit of a heat wave here in upstate New York which is making for great running weather!  I love it!

Sunday we had the Winter Series Race and I was planning to do the 15K.  I have to be honest I was dreading this run.  The forecast said it was around 10 degrees as I was heading to the race and after running in sub zero temps the previous Sunday I just wasn't sure I was up for another cold run.  I even contemplated going to the gym and doing my run there rather than the Winter Series but I knew a lot of running friends would be there and I would regret the chance to catch up with them if I didn't go.

Turns out I am glad I went.  The weather wasn't so bad! It warmed up a few degrees as we ran and the sun was out.  For the first time ever there was no wind on this course.  The layout of the campus that we run through basically makes it a wind tunnel so it is very rare to run there in the winter and not face winds.  About a mile in I was sweating.

I tried to keep up with The Happy Runner but fell behind in the first mile.  That's ok, she's a faster runner and I knew I probably couldn't stay with her for long.  The rest of the race was great.  Rather than do three loops which I thought we were doing we did a 3 mile loop and then a 6 mile loop which made the miles go by a little quicker.  I saw lots of running friends at the various turn arounds and everyone looked happy, like they were having good runs.  It just seemed like everyone was having a good day.  At the last water station a friend was volunteering so that was another boost. I felt pretty strong the whole time.  I wish I could have run a little fast but coming off a sick week I felt good the whole time which was my goal.  I finished in 1:25:28.  Not my fasted 15K but by no means my slowest.  All in all it was a good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment