Saturday, January 28, 2012

Impromptu Speedwork

Yesterday morning I skipped running outside because we had some iffy weather overnight. It had gone from snowing to rain and I didn't want to risky any black ice.  I decided to sleep in and run at lunch on the treadmill.

At the Y I ran into a friend who is super fast.  She has qualified for Boston the last 2 years and recieved quaranteed entry to NYC this year for her fast half marathon time.  She's always placing in our local races and also happens to be a really positive person who is always encouraging others.

Anyway she was doing speedwork and the only treadmill available was right next to her.  I had planned to try to get in an easy 3-4 miles, however many I could squeeze in.  As I started running and saw her going fast next to me, I was in awe of her speed and how hard she was pushing herself.  I decided to kick it up a bit too.  I ended up running 4 miles in 33:35 which is about 30 seconds faster than I have been able run 4 miles! I also felt great after. 

I don't think I could have pushed myself like that on my own.  I think sometimes we get stuck on what we think we are capable of and are afraid to push harder.  I have to try to remember to just go for it sometimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment