Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Morning Running

I think I have finally done it...I think I have become a morning runner!

During my last training cycle I had no problem getting out of the house early to meet my running friends on the weekend. We would usually meet around 7 or 7:30 so that wasn’t actually super early, especially in mom-terms. During the week though I had such trouble trying to get runs in early before work. In order to run in the morning I need to be done with my run and back home by 6:45 or 7 at the latest because that is when my husband leaves for work. So depending on how long I want to run I need to be out running by 5:45 or 6 at the very latest. I did it a few times and loved the days that I did it but it was so sporadic. Maybe it was the cold weather and the dark of winter but I just couldn’t get into it. I feel like this hindered my training a bit because then my weekday runs were limited to lunch hour runs where I can squeeze in 4 miles max. or after work runs on days it was warm enough to run pushing Mia. I never really got a lot of midweek mileage.

That all changed a few weeks ago. One of my running buddies Gail posted on our group facebook page about needing to get 9 miles in early one day. It coincided with a week I wasn’t going to be able to run much on the weekend so I responded that I was interested but I needed to be heading home by 6:45 at the latest. This meant if we were doing 9 we were meeting at 5...the meeting spot is about a 10-15 minute drive from my house, so I was looking at a 4:15 am wake up. YIKES! In a moment of insanity Gail and I agreed that we would do it. When I woke up and drove to meet her I was definitely questioning my sanity but once we started running I forgot about that. We had a great run, with beautiful scenery and great conversation. The miles flew by! We both ran pretty fast- our average pace was around 9:08 (goal marathon pace!!).

This run inspired me to get up and run at home a few more times that week. Then I realized that since we were going away the next week I should get my long run done before we left. I asked Gail if she was interested and again the following Tuesday we did it again. Another great morning run in the books.

After I returned from vacation we met up for another early 9 miles and later in the week I was looking for company for a 6-8 mile run so I posted on the group page asking if anyone was interested. Turns out another one of our running friends meets on Thursday mornings with a group that does 7 miles and they told me to join them. We met at a different spot so I got to experience a new running route and meet some new running friends. They told me they do the same run every Thursday and to come back again this week.

So this morning Gail and I were at it again- another speedy and early 9 miles in the books. Thursday I plan to go meet the other ladies for another 7 and tomorrow I will do 5 in the morning on my own. I’m enjoying getting out there early and getting my runs done. I’m beating the heat and I am so much more energized for the rest of the day. I’m hoping that this becomes a habit so when winter rolls around again it will be second nature.

No comments:

Post a Comment