Sunday, July 15, 2012

Running Buddies

About 2 years ago the Happy Runner started a running group for moms who wanted to train for their first 5K.  This was not long after I had Mia and I was struggling with getting back into running.  A good friend of mine was friends with the Happy Runner and suggested I contact her and join the group.  Since then the group has gone from training for a 5K to running half marathons and a bunch completed their first marathon in New Jersey back in May.   It's become this amazing network of local women who support each other through our training.  Many of us train together and race together and along the way I have made a lot of friends that I probably wouldn't have met if it wasn't for this group. 

Today was one of those days when I reminded of just how amazing this group is.  Early each week members of the facebook group start posting about the long runs they are planning for the weekend and asking who wants to join in.  Usually we end up with a couple of small groups gathering at various times throughout the weekend for long runs of various distances.  This morning 11 moms showed up for our long run.  It was awesome.  We ended up splitting up into different groups based on paces and distances we wanted but it was so cool to see so many of us together at the start.  I was so proud to be a part of this group. 

This group has made me a better runner.  Just knowing that other women who are juggling kids, family, jobs, illnesses, and a million other stresses are also getting out there everyday and running makes me get out there too even when I don't feel like it, even when it's hard. 

So I just want to thank the Happy Runner for starting this group and bringing us all together and thank you Strong Running Mama's for always inspiring me to strive to train harder and keeping me going!

By the way, just so this post isn't completely sappy...today's run was freakin' hard! 12.5 miles of hot humid hills at a 9:35 pace but we did it!

1 comment:

  1. Agreed. Cannot wait until I am fast enough and run long enough to join you guys.

    ReplyDelete